Wednesday, May 8, marked the second all-day culinary training of a group of twenty-six Santa Barbara County promatores by Chef Instructors from the Orfalea Foundation’s School Food Initiative.
This week’s curriculum included:
- An introduction to food safety and sanitation
- Knife safety and basic knife skills, part one
- Kitchen math and recipe conversions
- Kitchen equipment overview and best practices
- Time management skills and exercises
- Critical label reading, additive and nutrient awareness
- A side-by-side comparison of scratch-made and bottled salad dressings
- The magic of Mise en Place
- A gardening and herb planting lesson with Oscar Carmona of Healing Grounds Nursery
- Plus plenty of healthful snacks throughout the day!
(For more information about Santa Barbara County’s promatores de salud program, see last week’s post HERE)
Next week: shocking sugar math, weighing and measuring techniques, scratch breakfast baking, budgeting, food costing, smart portion sizes and…how to recalibrate your taste buds!